[vox-tech] rescuing winxp?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Sep 25 01:32:02 PDT 2004

Quoting Michael Wenk (wenk at praxis.homedns.org):

> As I recall, all fdisk /mbr does is takes a copy of master boot record from
> some backup location and places it in the master boot record of the drive.

Er, not "some backup location", but rather instructions towards that end
inside FDISK.EXE.  (After all, it's only 446 bytes.)

> I think this is why fdisk /mbr won't remove lilo very easily(as lilo installs
> itself into the mbr as well as the backup location)

Er, no, that has nothing to do with it.  When you run /sbin/lilo (the
map installer), whatever is specified in /etc/lilo.conf's boot= line
(which could be /dev/hda, but doesn't have to be) gets overridden, and
the former contents of the target is written out to /boot/boot.NNMM,
where NNMM is the major and minor numbers.

rick at linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.