[vox-tech] rescuing winxp?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Sep 24 12:56:36 PDT 2004

Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p at dirac.org):

> From Rick's earlier posts, it sounds like all the nameless MS 0th
> order bootloader does is pass control to the zeroth sector of the
> bootable partition.
>
> Does that mean that XP has the same MBR as Win95?

I would guess that such is the case.  (You're referring to the program
loaded into the inital 446 bytes of the MBR -- just to be precise about
this.)

> What I'm getting at is, can I use an old DOS fdisk to rewrite a MBR on
> a Win XP machine?

(Referring to the ancient "FDISK /MBR" trick.)  I think so, yes.

But it's just a plausible theory until someone risks hosing a system to
test it.  ;->