[vox-tech] rescuing winxp? (resolved)

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Sep 24 10:52:42 PDT 2004

OK.  Just fixed it.

Booted Knoppix.

Used cfdisk.  Cfdisk said something about partitions "out of order on disk"
   and exited.

Used fdisk.

Noticed that there were two NTFS partitions, hda1 and hda3 which I assumed
   were C: and D:.

hda 2 and 4 (where were listed between hda1 and hda3.  Never saw that
   before) were some wierd W95 LBA partitions.  Never saw that before.  One
   said "hidden FAT".  Strange.

Noticed that hda4 was bootable.  Seemed strange to me.  My gut feeling is
   that hda1 should be bootable.

So I made hda1 bootable.

Rebooted.  System now says "invalid partition table".  I feel my heart in my
   stomach.

I remember Rick Moen's post about the bootable flag from a few years ago.

Rebooted Knoppix.  Ran fdisk.

I toggled the bootable flag on hda4 so now hda1 is the ONLY partition with
   the bootable flag turned on.  Previously, both hda1 and hda4 had the
   bootable flag.

Rebooted.

Worked.

Conclusion:

The Norton something-or-other marked some wierd FAT partition with the
bootable flag.  The fix was to make the C drive bootable (and to make sure
that only one partition had the bootable flag).

Pete