[vox-tech] bittorrent: tracker doesn't like me?

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Fri Sep 24 09:16:57 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 08:48:46AM -0700, Ryan wrote:
> On Friday 24 September 2004 06:19 am, p-at-dirac.org (Peter Jay Salzman)
> |lugod| wrote:
> > Imagine you see this:
> >

> >    status:   finishing in 199:29:45 (42.1%)
> >    dl speed: 0.7 KB/s
> >    ul speed: 3.6 KB/s
> >    sharing:  3.688  (1243.2 MB up / 337.1 MB down)
> >    seeds: 12 seen now, plus .999 distributed copies
> >    peers:  4 seen now
> >

> > I mean, what's a guy to think?   If I didn't know better, I'd say
> > that the tracker has a personal grudge against me.   :-/
> >
> > With 12 seeders, the dl speed should be going like gangbusters.
> > And it isn't a minor fluke, because look at the actual MB uploaded
> > and downloaded.  The thing I'm downloading is 800MB.  I've already
> > uploaded it!  I'm working on uploading it twice!
> >
> > How does this happen with bittorrent?  I thought trackers were
> > suppose to keep things fair.  Nobody can accuse me of shutting
> > down a torrent before my sharing goes below a 1.0.

Trackers have nothing to do with keeping things fair. It's entirely
client-to-client interactions. When a client sees you cooperating with
it, it is more willing to cooperate back. Now a seed can't see that
(because you have nothing it could possibly need) so it should be
deciding to upload to the people who are downloading from it the
fastest. (So people downloading on big fat pipes are most likely to
get something from the seed). Nevertheless, the seeds should be
uploading to your client periodically to see whether you're a better
peer to upload to than the ones it's currently uploading to.

I imagine you've been sitting on the network for a while, so they
should all have tried you out by now.

> Are your bittorrent ports open to the internet? This can make a big
> diffrence in speed.

If you can see a peer, then they can see you - you keep a persistent
socket open to them. It doesn't matter who opens the socket - data can
flow in both directions. However, more other peers can connect to you
if you have your ports open, and that way you may be able to get
faster downloads.

G'mar Chatima Tova