[vox-tech] rsync question

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Sep 23 22:11:32 PDT 2004

I need to transfer about 40GB between computers.

I'm tired of using scp because it's slow.  I've heard that rsync is faster,
but I've never used rsync before today.  I just played around with it, and it
appears to have the same kind of syntax that scp uses.

A quick read through the man page says that rsync defaults to using ssh, so
I'm curious why it would be faster than using scp.

Is there a way of telling rsync (or scp for that matter) to use a
non-encrypted connection?  Is there such a thing as a NULL encryption for
ssh?

I'm behind a strong firewall, I trust all the systems in my office, and I
want to transfer files as quickly as possible.  What's the fastest method of
transfering 20GB between two systems on a trusted network?

Pete