[vox-tech] VM Ware questions

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 20 17:32:01 PDT 2004

on Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 03:14:15PM -0700, Rod Roark (rod at sunsetsystems.com) wrote:
> On Monday 20 September 2004 03:08 pm, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > On Monday 20 September 2004 02:57 pm, Rod Roark wrote:
> > > A Windows installation is tied to the hardware on which it's
> > > installed, whereas VMWare provides its own virtual hardware.
> > > I.e. you'll need to install an instance of WinXP (and your
> > > application) under VMWare.
> > >
> > Just to clarify: in order for VMWARE to function, windows needs to be
> > installed thru VMWARE?
>
> Last I checked, yes.

I don't believe so.  Specifically:  I had a native-disk install of WinXP
Pro a couple of years ago, runnable either at boot or under VMWare.

What's necessary is to set different "hardware profiles" for the
installations.  See:

    http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/common/hardwareprofiles.html

...though I am noting the conspicuous absence of XP from the listed
platforms.  Might also look at:

    http://www.vmware.com/support/guestnotes/doc/guestos_winxp.html#1102719

> > The only reason I ask, is that the possibility of running windows
> > outside of VMWare (via dual booting) would be nice to have.

> > > This is easy to do - the Windows filesystem on which you
> > > install can also be virtual, physically stored as a set of
> > > files in the Linux filesystem.  Which also makes backup
> > > easy.
> >
> > So - it would seem that I could have a real windows install for the rare
> > instances of when i would actually want to boot into windows, and then a
> > virtual filesystem and install of windows for when i want to use it under
> > linux?
>
> Correct.

I *think* a single installation is all that's needed.  But if you could
confirm, it would be nice to have current data.

Peace.

    A live dog is better than a dead lion.