[vox-tech] VM Ware questions

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Mon Sep 20 14:57:25 PDT 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 02:47 pm, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Just got a new machine at work with a slick copy of Debian Sarge and it is
> working quite well... However, there is 1 application - ArcGIS (expensive,
> bloated, and buggy) that needs to be run on this machine from time to time...
> Is there anyway to get a copy of VM ware to boot a WinXP install from one of
> the partitions on the drive, such that it could be used from Linux?
> Dual-booting is certainly an option, but it would be ideal if I could run an
> instance of windows from within Linux (via VM Ware)...
>
> has anyone on this list done anything like that?

A Windows installation is tied to the hardware on which it's
installed, whereas VMWare provides its own virtual hardware.
I.e. you'll need to install an instance of WinXP (and your
application) under VMWare.

This is easy to do - the Windows filesystem on which you
install can also be virtual, physically stored as a set of
files in the Linux filesystem.  Which also makes backup
easy.

VMWare works very well.  You should have no trouble.

-- Rod