[vox-tech] Really cheap thin client

Chris Jenks jenks at resonance.org
Fri Sep 17 07:07:35 PDT 2004

  A friend of mine on another linux list pointed out an apparently good
deal on a thin client:

http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/viewproduct.asp?ProductID=COM-W2315S

  This item is the Wyse 2315SE Thin Client Terminal for $6 each, with a
current special of $4.99 for total shipping. This thin client, after
connecting a monitor, keyboard and mouse, is supposed to allow access to a
windows desktop and applications over a network. The reason I'm posting is
that I would like to use this thin client to access a linux desktop,
especially if I could do it with a bunch of these. The little I could
glean from Google is that the operating system in WinCE and Citrix
metaframe is used to communicate with the server. Since Citrix still
doesn't provice a linux version of their metaframe server, the only way I
can see to use this thin client as an X terminal would be to boot it with
linux on a flash memory card in its PCMCIA slot.
  Is there any hope here? I've ordered a few, so I'll let you know of any
success. Let me know if you want to play with one.

  Yours,

    Chris