[vox-tech] open office spreadsheet question - dereferencing

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Sat Sep 11 08:31:34 PDT 2004

Hola,

I use a formula to compute the average homework score for a class, only using
the scores of people who turn in the assignment.  In other words, it doesn't
include people who get zero (I always give a point for turning in a piece of
paper since a tree had to die for the paper).

   SUM(B1:B14) / COUNTIF(B1:B14; ">0")

I have to change that B14 each semester, depending on the number of people in
the class.

Instead, if I were to put the number of students in another cell, say E40,
how could I dereference E40 and use it in the formula?   So, I'd like to do
something like:

   SUM(B1: *E40) / COUNTIF(B1:*E40; ">0")

where "*" is some kind of dereference operator.   How do I do this?

Pete