[vox-tech] simple backup and restore

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Sun Oct 31 21:09:47 PST 2004

Hi,

I just want to do a simple backup, write the backup file to the system
disk or an NFS mount.  Then restore from that file.

I'm not sure what I should backup.  I figure I can exclude: /tmp /dev
/mnt /proc

If I do:

cd /
tar zcvf backup.tar.gz bin boot etc home initrd initrd.img lib media opt
root sbin  srv  sys  usr  var  vmlinuz

How would I restore, such that I get the previous image, and not a
combination of the restored files and the new files?

What I want to do is install some software, do a backup, try installing
some other software, restore to the old backup, try installing again...

Thanks
Jay