[vox-tech] debian and openoffice

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 21 23:40:43 PDT 2004

Quoting Mark K. Kim (lugod at cbreak.org):

> What they (the Debian people) need to do is scrap testing and make
> somethingg new.  Testing is really just an old snapshot of unstable as far
> as I understand which doesn't really have a good purpose in practice.

That's not at all what the testing branch is.  Here's a FAQ about how
testing gets autopopulated by packages released into unstable that meet
automated quarantining tests:   "Testing FAQ" on
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/

Jules Bean hasn't maintained that FAQ in a couple of years; it's
starting to become a little inaccurate in its fine details, but it's
generally correct.

> What they should do is make something between Stable and Unstable....

It's called "testing".  ;->

My preferred maintenance regime for both servers and desktop machines
that I have on Debian is to have sources.list lines for both unstable
and testing (plus Security Team lines), but use "pinning" in
/etc/apt/preferences to ensure that unstable-branch packages get pulled
down only when I include "-t unstable" as a command-line option, never
by default:

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 50

This way, I don't have to care about "updates" and "releases"; I just
get what I want when I want it -- and the resulting default distance
from the bleeding edge is just about perfect for my tastes.

--
Cheers,                    Facta tua Restitueri ad Status Pristinus Eius.
Rick Moen                       (May your data be restored to