[vox-tech] RAID systems

Jan W jcwynholds at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 14:08:42 PDT 2004

Hi all:

I just finished setting up 3 tb raid systems, and I have some general
questions about raid:

1.  What are the best methods to get benchmarks for speed/timing?

2.  What are the best recovery tools in case of failure?

3.  What filesystem/raid options work best for lots of small files
being written often?

Here is the setup I have now:

2.6 kernel (fedora core)
mdadm for managing metadevice
raid 5 -- default 64k chunk size
SATA for all raid drives
ext3 fs with -- extra inodes for lotsa little files and -- 4k block
size with a stride of 16 so that it matches the raid chunk size

Any and all comments are welcome, I just need to get a better idea of
what people are using for their production systems (and how the tools
are used).  I don't need anything special, just a rock-solid file
server used by everyday production systems.

I feel pretty good about what I've done already, but TBs of data makes
me wince, especially if the data is expensive and/or irreplacable.
Dealing with that sorta stuff makes me want to make extra-specially
doubly sure that all my duckies are in rows...

--thanks much

jan

=====
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders
of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple
matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist
dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they
are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism,
and exposing the country to greater danger.
     --Hermann Goering