[vox-tech] Multiple Mice in X

Bryan Richter btrichter at ucdavis.edu
Mon Oct 4 08:37:52 PDT 2004

First, people will probably need your config file.

Hans W. Uhlig wrote:
> Ok Ive got a laptop with bad mice and I need to be able to swap out to an
> external usb mouse. X doesent want to see it without me booting with it in and
> then the internal mouse go haywire(They still work on occasion but they are
> dyeing.) how can I turn off one mouse and turn on another in X. Ive been
> looking but I cant seem to find it and xsetmouse doesent seem to have any
> function other then listing my config file.

Is it sufficient to get the USB mouse to 'plug-and-play'? Or do you also want to
disable the other mouse? It's legal (and probably easier)  to have two mice
active, after all. Make sure you have entries for both mice. With this:

    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier    "Configured Mouse"
        Driver        "mouse"
        Option        "CorePointer"
        Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
        Option        "Protocol"      "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option        "Buttons"       "6"
        Option        "ZAxisMapping"  "5 6"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier    "USBMouse"
        Driver        "mouse"
        Option        "CorePointer"
        Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
        Option        "Protocol"      "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option        "Buttons"       "6"
        Option        "ZAxisMapping"  "5 6"
    EndSection

and this:

    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier    "Default Layout"
        Screen        "Default Screen"
        InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice    "USBMouse"
    EndSection

my PS2 mouse works, and I can plug in a USB mouse at will (assuming I've loaded
the hid kernel module).

-Bryan

p.s. I don't know if it's wrong to have both as 'CorePointers'.