[vox-tech] "bring to front" X-window command

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 2 21:38:27 PDT 2004

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 02:06:24PM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
>>Finally got around to trying this, and it does work directly in "simple"
>>windows managers (tested in openbox).  However, it doesn't quite work in
>>KDE.  Rather than the window coming to the top, the window's entry in
>>the taskbar just flashes at me.
>

> KDE does have an option to 'reduce focus from being lost', e.g. by pop-ups,
> so the flashing is probably their way of dealing with it.
>
> Try the above again, with that focus option turned off.

Yep, you are right.  In KDE 3.3, the option is "Focus stealing
prevention level: none|low|medium|high|extreme".  Setting it to "none"
allows my code to bring the desired window to the top.

However, I would like to override this feature in my program so that the
window rises to the top no matter what the WM/DE trys to do.  From what
I understand, setting the "override-redirect" attribute of the window to
"True" should do what I want.  Instead, nothing happens when
XRaiseWindow is called, neither in KDE or Openbox.  Any ideas here?

If I can't override the WM, I'll have to put something in the help to
tell users to turn off the appropriate "focus" setting.  Do other WM/DE
have this option like KDE?  Does Gnome?

Thanks!
Jonathan