[vox-tech] [OT] computer pretending to be a modem (Was: computer pretending to be a printer)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Nov 30 14:23:27 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:05:49PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:

> (Now, I'm curious to try emulating a parallel printer using a Linux
> box.)

Somewhat related, I think, but totally off-topic for this situation, is
a project called "tcpser".

It provides computers that connect via a serial port (e.g., an 8-bit
computer that you'd normally use a modem with) access to your network and
the Internet.

I haven't played with it myself, and it appears to not have a proper
'home page', but it's GPL and can be found here:

  http://www.jbrain.com/pub/linux/serial/

Here's a Usenet post from the author.  Sounds neat.  Maybe I shouldn't
have given away my Atari 850 serial connector device!

  http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=zd1id.359283%24D%25.273710%40attbi_s51

-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                               Have I been helpful?
http://newbreedsoftware.com/    http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick