[vox-tech] computer pretending to be a printer

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Tue Nov 30 10:00:57 PST 2004

Hi everyone,

We have a rather expensive analytical machine in our department that provides
few options for saving its output to file. The manual suggests that it can be
used via windows networking to save its data to a remove windows share over
ethernet. There is currently no way to get an ethernet cable into this room,
so that is out of the question for now.... In place of saving an electronic
copy of the output, the machine sends data to printer. This is most annoying
as it can use lots of ink, and the printer has a tendancy to jam - and if it
doesn't get printed, then the results are lost!

So here is the idea... Would it be possible to setup a simple linux box
connected to the printer port (i think that it is a standard parallel port)
of the machine, and have the linux box filter the information and save it to
a file? being a PPC person I have no idea if this is even possible with the
protocol used for parallel printers... but i thought that it would be
interesting to try.

any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

--