[vox-tech] rant and questions about LDAP

Paul paulb at claypits.com
Sun Nov 28 20:59:22 PST 2004

I want to run openldap on my home server.
Actually, I just want to centralize all of our address books and ldap
looked like the best way to do it.
It was easy to install (apt-get install several things), then I tried to
configure it.
Whoever designed the slapd.conf file was some combination of evil and
perverted.
The values in the file are the opposite of self-documenting
(non-documenting, confusing, unintuitive, fubar). Almost nothing makes
any sense at all. Even the examples I've found just tell me what to put
in without telling me why or what my choices are and what the best
choice would be.

Now the questions
Does anyone have a better way to coordinate addressbooks over a couple
of desktops?
Does anyone have ldap running on a small server and talking to Mozilla
address books?
Does anyone know of a webpage that could be subtitled "slapd.conf for
dummies"?
Does anyone know what slapd means?