[vox-tech] modifying gdm to enable multiple logins

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 27 07:06:36 PST 2004

on Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 12:48:09AM -0800, Trevor M. Lango (tmlango at member.aiche.org) wrote:
> I use gdm to login to kde.
>
> I modified '/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf' so that gdm starts up on vt7 and vt8.
> My default session is 'KDE'.  I can login fine on vt7 but on vt8 I get an
> 'xsession-errors' that complains about not being able to use display '0:0'
> (vt7)  Any suggestions much appreciated!

Sounds like you're trying to start two displays (one on VT7, one on
VT8), but might be using the same display number for both?  I'm not sure
from your post.

Anyhow:  the 0:0 refers to the display (and screen) the X server is
using.  If you are trying to run two displays, you'd need to specify a
higher value (e.g.:  :1) for the second display.  Default XFree86
support is for up to 64 local displays, numbered 0 - 63.  You'll need to
edit your X display manager (gdm in your case) config file for anything
other than :0.  Alternatively, you can run 'startx -- :<displaynumber>'
at a console login to manually kick off an X session.

If you're doing this on any sort of publicly accessible system, you
might want to start X and log out with, say:

    startx <window manager or desktop> -- :<display> & exit

...to avoid leaving a shell session open.

It's possible that your system is logging errors or issues to vt8.  Is
*that* what you were talking about?

How about posting with more details and/or your distro.

Peace.

    I'm no one to be trifled with. That is all you ever need know.
    - Princess Bride