[vox-tech] Slackware 10 printing revisited

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 22 15:49:25 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 02:17:07PM -0800, wild bill wrote:
> On Monday 22 November 2004 10:53, Henry House wrote:
> > P? m?ndag, 22 november 2004, skrev wild bill:
> > > First of all I would like to thank all who responeded
> > > to my original post.  They verified that I was/had been
> > > proceeding correctly.
> > >
> > > I am still unable to print with my HP 4L printer.
> > >
> > > 	Printer connected to Parallel port
> > > 		PC Parallel Port Support section in
> > > /etc/rc.d/rc.modules uncommented
> > > 		Parallel Printer Support  section in
> > > /etc/rc.d/rc.modules uncommented
> > >
> > > 	Using hpijs driver
> > >
> > > 	root at OCELOT:/etc/cups# lp0
> > > 	bash: lp0: command not found

lp0 isn't a command, so just typing lp0 at a shell will of course give
you that error message.

> > Hello Bill! It sounds like your paralell port may not be
> > working (still). Here are some ways to test it:
> >
> > - Run 'lsmod' and see the the parport, parport_pc, and lp
> > modules are present.
> >
> 	parport is present
> 		parport_pc and lp are absent

try using modprobe to load each of these modules as well

as root
# modprobe parport_pc
# modprobe lp

> > - Run 'echo hello > /dev/lp0' and see if anything comes
> > out of the printer, if lights blink, etc.
> >
> 	no response

did you get any complaint about "device not found" or something like
that?

> > - run 'tail on /var/log/syslog' and see if there are any
> > messages about the printer or parallel port there.
>
> 	none

hey - that's only the last 10 lines of the file. you have to have him
search the whole thing if you think something will be there. judging
from what information we have so far, I don't think he'll see anything
though.