[vox-tech] Slackware 10 printing revisited

wild bill hammer29 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 22 10:36:47 PST 2004

First of all I would like to thank all who responeded to my
original post.  They verified that I was/had been
proceeding correctly.

I am still unable to print with my HP 4L printer.

	Printer connected to Parallel port
		PC Parallel Port Support section in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
			uncommented
		Parallel Printer Support  section in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
			uncommented

	Using hpijs driver

	root at OCELOT:/etc/cups# lp0
	bash: lp0: command not found

Last night, I saw another Slackware 10.0 box and asked the
user to enter http://localhost:631/admin in Konquerer so I
could show him my problem.  He had no printer set up so we
proceeded.  At he second screen {Device for .......}, there
appeared two entries for Parallel Port. in additon to those
for
		AppSocket/HPJetDirect
		Internet Printing Protocol (http)
		internet Printing Prootocol (ipp)
		LPD/LPR Host or Printer
		SCSI Printer
		Serial Pot #1 to 48
		USB Printer 1 to 16
		Windows Printer via Samba

These Parallel Port entries are not present in the like
screen on my Slackware box.

He said that I probably had somehow disabled the parallel
port in my bios since the kernel was not seeing it.

Seemed logical so this am, I have be wrestling with the fact
that my bios has parallel set to auto and it is recognized
in the bios bootup screen as active on 378.

How can I induce my kernel (2.6.7) to see the parallel port?
And, yes I did reboot to the original 2.4 kernel and I have
the same problem.

Bill WElls