[vox-tech] Printer Recommendation?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Nov 14 14:24:43 PST 2004

Quoting Robert G. Scofield (rscofield at afes.com):

> So what do people recommend for Linux?

I would carefully read Grant Taylor's recommendations:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

He recommends some particular Epson and HP models, and warns against most
others.  Many of his comments give reasons why the former company, in
general, offers better value and support to the Linux community.
(Taylor is basically _the_ top expert on Linux printing.)

Personally, I think inkjet printers generally are a rip-off for daily
use, and therefore unacceptable for that role.  People tend to justify
them on grounds that (1) the price of admission is low, and (2) they
might occasionally want to do colour printing.  Thereafter, they get
eaten alive by the cost of ink cartridges.  This is true even if you try
to stick to black and white.

If I had an occasional need for colour printing -- I happen not to --  I
certainly _would_ buy one, but then not use it for general printing.
For that, I'd also acquire some workhorse printer using toner-based
printing (laser or LED-based).  If pinched for funds, I'd get one used.

Concerning the _new-unit_ retail market for monochrome lasers, Taylor
says:  "Worthwhile lasers begin around $300; at that price level you
have several choices."

--
Cheers,              "Plus ça change...."
Rick Moen            http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/pictures/1861-versus-2004.jpeg