[vox-tech] What not to backup on RH9/apache

Jack LaPlante jlaplante at pwx.com
Sun Nov 14 12:23:12 PST 2004

I used to host about 12 clients by reselling CIHost shared accts, now I
have my own dedicated server (at 1and1.com) and have been moving clients
to it over the past few months.  CIHost claims nightly backups, but when
a drive failed there  a couple of weeks ago, the most recent backup they
had was 9 months old. My best customers were still on that drive and
were quite pissed off! <insert long boring rant here> So now I am
setting up a backup regime on my dedicated server.

I'm buying the backup server from 1and1, and it is accessible only by
logging in from my root server.  There's no bandwidth charge for ftping
on their internal network.  I guess I will use tar to create a local
archive on the root server, then ftp the compressed archive to the
backup server.  I'm assuming I can automate this with bash scripts and cron.

Basically, I want to be as all-inclusive as I can, so if my HD fails
there will be as little interuption as possible.  So I thought I would
include everything *except* certain directories.  The root server is
RH9/apache.  What are the obvious directories to exclude from backing
up?  And is this basically a sound backup plan?

--
  Jack LaPlante
  jlaplante at pwx.com

  Pyroglyph Inc.