[vox-tech] Printer Recommendation?

Robert G. Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Sun Nov 14 12:31:06 PST 2004

I was wondering if someone could recommend an inkjet printer for Linux use.

My printer will cost more to repair than it will cost for me to buy a
new one.  I'm not using Linux now because of a motherboard problem.  I'm
a 100% Windows98 user.  But I will get a new computer as soon as I get
the money, and so need to plan for future Linux use.

As a Windows user I'm leaning toward Epson.  I've heard that the inks
are better than HP inks in that they do not run as much if the paper
gets wet.  In addition, Epson has 3 or 4 separate color ink cartridges.
So if you run out of yellow you get a yellow cartridge instead of having
to pay $40 or so for one color cartridge like you have to do with an HP.

As a past and future Linux user I'm leaning toward HP because HP makes
Linux drivers.  SuSE 9.0 had the HP drivers and it was nice being able
to easily choose different printing options.  I don't know whether or
nor there is as much driver support for an Epson.

So what do people recommend for Linux?

Thank you.

Bob