[vox-tech] Printing photos with KDE

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Thu Nov 11 09:44:14 PST 2004

Thanks Jonathan.  I think you're right that it's a hardware
feature not supported by the driver.  I managed to get
acceptable sizing by hacking the ppd file, but cannot get
rid of the borders.  Oh well, this is not something we'll
use a lot anyway (too expensive compared to something like
shutterfly.com).

This is one of two recent cases (for me) where a hardware
vendor has done a less-than-stellar job of producing a
proprietary driver for Linux.

The other was an Edimax PCI wireless card that I installed
last night into my wife's PC.  I already knew that their
Linux driver had many problems, but bought it anyway because
I also knew that the Windows drivers could be made to run
with ndiswrapper (see ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net).  Sure
enough, it's working perfectly.

-- Rod