[vox-tech] Fedora Core 3 - Newbie Questions

Edward Elliott ed_elliott at email.com
Thu Nov 4 11:08:33 PST 2004

I've gotten kind of fed up with the Gentoo compiles and I'm going to try Fedora Core 3 after the final is released (next week?). I'd appreciate any advice on some questions left over from my Gentoo trials.

1) Is there anything different or special I should be aware of in order use my SBC DSL link, or can I just copy what I have now in Gentoo?

2) I never got printing to work with my Lexmark Z51 inkjet printer. Am I likely to have any better luck with FC3?

3) I'd like to enable support for a USB memory stick, the LexarJumpdrive. I noticed this Fedora article,
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/anthony_davis/flashdrive/
does anyone have any other references I should check?

4) Would anyone like to recommend a good reference site for someone new to Fedora? I mean something other than the docs at http://fedora.redhat.com/ and Colin's docs for the UN at http://www.iosn.net/training/end-user-manual/print

5) Finally, any suggestions on using yum vs apt? Currently I'm leaning towards yum, since it comes installed in Fedora.

Thank you

PS I will be installing this on a brand new drive, so there will be no issues with multiboot or partition resizing.