Tools for remote user-education : "Show Me" [was Re: [vox-tech] screen question ]

Mitch Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Wed Nov 3 11:45:17 PST 2004

On Wed 03 Nov 04, 10:56 AM, ME <dugan at passwall.com> said:
>> If you have never used the share option before, it allows two people
>> "share" a screen session; both people may type in the same session at
>> the
>> same time and have the same privs as shell in the given session. You
>> are
>> able to specify what users may attach to a shared screen session, and
>> you
>> must start it as a shared session for others to attach, but it can be
>> quite excellent. (It also allows you to have multiple screen sessions
>> opened and attached without detatching.)

On Nov 3, 2004, at 11:28 AM, Peter Jay Salzman replied:
> That is SO phracking cool.  So, in essence, two people can play
> Infocom,
> Scott Adams, Adventure, nethack, or any other text based game together.

And using the shared option to vncviewer (both people connecting have
to specify it I believe), you can both play solitaire together :-).

I use VNC's share option when trying to illustrate something intensely
graphical.. like using GIMP, or even using SQLManager under windows.
Things that require a rapid refresh rate don't work very well, and the
bandwidth requirements are a lot higher, but it's also a useful tool to
"show me" what you're doing.

   -- Mitch