Address (was: [vox-tech] Getting CUPS & KDE to play together)

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:35:52 -0800

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 11:36:31AM -0800, Hans W. Uhlig wrote:
> Anyone know why my Address is @ragabash.livepenguin.com
> I know ragabash is my hostname but... Where did the domain come from

livepenguin.com is the domain which hosts lugod.org and the mailing lists.

Perhaps when you try to post, you're posting "from"

  username@ragabash

...in turn, something somewhere says "hey, that's not a fully qualified
domain", and tacks the ".livepenguin.com" on the end of the hostname.

I am SO talking out of my a** right now, though.  I'm sure someone who
knows something will respond with something more accurate.

In the meantime, I will *sigh* continue to approve your postings when I
see them get caught by the mailing list software.  Do note that I only
go through and clean out the vox-* lists once every day or so.

99%[*] of the time, all that's in the queue are spams.  Most of them seem
like Nigerian spam.  Not sure why those get through the spam filters so
easily.  (Rod?  Ideas?)

-bill!

[*] - That's an exaggeration, although once it was literally 99%...
      There were 100 messages in the queue: one real post by someone not
      subscribed or subscribed with a different address, versus 99 spams.