[vox-tech] [Fwd: [vox] USB vs. PS/2 mouse]

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:35:48 -0800

Dave Margolis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an IBM thinkpad with an _eraser head_ mouse.  I like the eraser
> head and I've grown rather fond of it over the years (I had an old
> toshiba laptop with the same mouse before).  However, every once and I
> while I like to plug in my USB scroll mouse...
>
> So here's my question:  Is there a USB insertion script somewhere that I
> can add a line or two to re-point /dev/mouse (currently points to
> /dev/psaux, would need to point to /dev/input/mice)?  Would this kind of
> think require hotplug? I don't have hotplug turned on.  Also, this would
> need to work in the reverse, if possible, upon removal.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I have a laptop with a touchpad which always "just works" as a ps/2
mouse on /dev/psaux.  Most of the time I also have a usb wheel mouse
plugged in.  They can both work simultaneously with a proper XF86Config:

Section "ServerLayout"
	InputDevice	"Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice	"DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Mouse0"
	Driver	"mouse"
	Option	"Protocol"	"PS/2"
	Option	"Device"	"/dev/psaux"
	Option	"Emulate3Buttons"	"yes"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"DevInputMice"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option		"Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

I am using devfs and hotplug, which I don't know much about.  I assume
they take care of detecting whether the usb mouse is plugged in or not.

HTH,
Jonathan