[vox-tech] Best/fastest graphics accellerator that is Lunux compatible

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:25:20 -0800 (PST)

Jim Lowman said:
> I'm working on a parts list for building my dream computer.  Since I
> have other computers in the home that
> will run Windoze, Linux compatibility is the prime constraint.  If it
> runs both, fine.
>
> I've perused the Linux HCL to ensure that the AMD FX-51 is supported; it
> is.  That will be the CPU of choice.
>
> Main problem seems to be the graphics adapter.  SInce the ATI Radeon XT
> 9800 Pro isn't supported, I bought
> a Mad Dog FX 5200, which claims to support Linux.
>
> If you were doing this project, what would be your choice for the video
> card?  A DVI connector would be a plus,
> although I'm unsure if the Samsung Syncmaster 191T+ flat-panel monitor
> is compatible.  I'm in the process of
> working out compatibility issues with the Tech. Support staff at the
> respective manufacturers.
>
> Any advice is welcomed.
>
> Thanks in advance...Jim

I am not a big graphics card abuser, but I'd like to offer something from
experience:

Even if you find a really good card that is "suported" in Linux, the
question should ask which is more important is, "how well is it
supported?"

There are card which are quite advanced with many hardware features for
accelleration, but these cards are not supported directly with
accelleration under X. Sometimes, the support is limited to only 2D
graphics without accelleration. Some include support for 2d accelleration,
but no 3d support, and others may support limited resolutions.

>From this point, I'd like to point out an option: nVidia. They nVidia
cards are often not the best cards on the market, but they also provide
linux kernel drivers to support almost all of the features they make
available in hardware.

By using the proprietary kernel drivers for Linux from nVidia meant to
work with X, I get acces to accelleration from hardware, support for Linux
and X, support for the S-Video out as well as SVGA and LCD on the same
laptop (and home PC for the one that has an nVidia card too.)

I was impressed with the level of hardware support made available with the
nVidia drivers and X. I have OpenGL support and 3D games are available for
me to play in Linux that utilize this.

The short of my advice:
"Compare the features of a card which are supported in Linux to other
cards features supported in Linux; dont compare whitepapers on just the
cards as that may be misleading."

-ME