[vox-tech] Gentoo - Backup Sys Config Files & Grub vs LILO

Rob Rogers vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:44:29 -0600

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 20:01:48PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Edward Elliott (ed_elliott@email.com):
> > Is there any reason to prefer LILO over Grub?
>
> 2)  You happen to already be familiar with LILO and so don't get
> traumatised by silly and easily avoided new-user pitfalls[1], and LILO
> isn't broken, so you keep using it.

This is pretty much the reason I was going to give. For me, LILO has
always worked, always been the default bootloader on every distro I've
installed, and I've never had a good reason to switch.

To me, the choice of bootloader isn't nearly as important as choice of
mailserver/ftp daemon/distro/many other things. All I care is that it
works. I don't touch a bootloader config more than once every 6 months
or so... Heck, I don't even see a bootloader more than about once a
month. One of these days, I'll get around to learning grub, and I may
even switch my systems over to using it, but until then, there's no
benifit (as in time savings or even increased ease of administration) to
switching.