[vox-tech] mysql: printing all users and databases

Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:03:01 -0800

thanks tim,

i'll give it a try.  i have to say, i'm a little disheartened with
mysql.  i just want it to "work" and be secure.

from reading the docs, it _appears_ (although it doesn't say explicitly)
that not only does each username have a password, each user has a
password for each hostname.  so 'root'@'localhost' may have a different
password than 'root'@'someotherhost'.  that's just too bizarre for my
mind.

it also looks like a database name of "mysql" may refer to the
collection of all databases, but i haven't verified that yet.

plus having anonymous users... really, anonymous.  as in, so anonymous
that they don't even have a username, is a really strange concept.  even
anonymous ftp users have a username of "anonymous".

i wanted to set up a slashcode system, but i may just put that off till
i have more time to sit down and read mysql docs.  the more i learn
about mysql, the more i'm starting to realize there's no possible
quickstart...   :(

i'll give it a few more hours before i put it off as a "major
undertaking" to be attempted when i have less on my plate than i do
now.

i'll try your suggestions.  thanks!

pete