[vox-tech] Old PC

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 21:01:07 -0800

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

On 2004.02.26 12:06, John Marcotte wrote:
> I have an old Dell Optiplex GS+ in my office. I thought It might make a
> dandy little Linux box, but it's pretty darn slow by today's standards.
>=20
> At a cool 200MHz at a whopping 32MB of RAM, I think a current distro
> would run poorly (if at all) on the box.
>=20
> So my question is: What version of Linux should I put on this little
> guy? I'd like to use it as an internet terminal and word processor.
>=20
> John Marcotte
>  <http://www.biznerds.com/>

Not sure how well X programs in general will work on the box (especially a =
=20
full featured web browser), but I recently put together a box with a =20
similar configuration in 64MB of RAM using Debian unstable, AbiWord =20
(OpenOffice was too big), and a choice of Galeon or Dillo as a web browser.
The only real problem was that on the monitor they had, there would be =20
redraw problems with Galeon (although I never noticed any redraw problems =
=20
when setting it up using my own monitor.)

--=20

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP--