[vox-tech] UPS and auto battery

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 15:28:31 -0800

Interesting stuff.  I never really considered how much
energy a car battery can hold.

Checking my recent electric bills, it looks like my house
uses about 1000 KWH per month when not running the AC
(electric stove, gas heat).  That computes to about 12 amps
average use, so it would seem that with 8-10 batteries and
a hefty inverter I could keep the whole house running for
about 24 hours.  Can that be right?

You mentioned the informative article at
http://www.dansdata.com/diyups.htm.  One thing I don't
understand in there.  The guy says his PC draws about 6 amps
from his battery and the monitor about 8 amps.  That sounds
huge.  He's got a 300 VA inverter and says his PC and monitor
together draw about 70% of its capacity.  Something does not
compute.

-- Rod