[vox-tech] mutt ssl certificate problem

Bryan Richter vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:52:17 -0800

Besides the virtual console bug Ken noticed, I had another problem afflict
Sid recently. mutt doesn't seem to recognize its certificate file. Here
are relevant lines in my .muttrc:

---
set spoolfile="{chreekat@purple.ucdavis.edu}inbox"
set certificate_file="~/.mutt/cert"
---

If I remove the cert file and run mutt, it pops a message about UC
Davis' certificate and asks if I want to accept it. I say "accept
always" and it apparently does so, saving the cert to the file. However,
if I quit and re-run mutt, it asks for the cert _again_. If I tell it to
"accept always" again, it tells me "Warning: Certificate couldn't be
saved". It accepts the cert, though, and mutt behaves normally after
that.

So:
1. mutt _can_ write to the file, since if I remove it, it puts the cert
there next time it's run.

2. mutt can't seem to _read_ the file, since it asks about the cert even
if the file exists.

3. mutt can't seem to write to the file if it already exists (or at
least gives an un-user-friendly response if it is opting against
overwriting the file).

Finally, this happened all of a sudden. I had no problem with this setup
for a while. I can't be sure, but the only thing that could have changed
something was an apt-get upgrade.

Any idea what's happening?

-Bryan