[vox-tech] latex sty

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:43:39 -0800

Thanks Pete and Micah for responding:

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Tue 02 Mar 04,  6:44 PM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@sbcglobal.net> said:
>
>>I'm submitting a latex document to a journal, and I'm not supposed to
>>include any files other than my latex file and my eps figures.
>

> have you written to them and said something like:
>
>    "is it OK to also send in a .sty file to conform to your bibliography
>    format?  and if i can't, please tell me how to conform to your format"
>
> before giving up on that, you should definitely ask...

Well, like many nerdy engineers, I tend to use real human interaction as
a last resort :-)  But I did do so now and am waiting for a response.

<snip>
>> Is there any way to include that information in my latex file?  I
>>tried just pasting it in at the top of my document, but I get errors.
>>Clearly, there is syntax for sty files that is not permitted in latex.
>

> it's possible, but not that i know of.  my own pete_macros.sty is just a
> bunch of macros i've written and placed in $TEXINPUTS so \usepackage can
> find it.
>
> are you sure you pasted it after \documentclass but before
> \begin{document}?

Most definitely, but my problem was with any \@[latex_command].  By
Micah's suggestion to look around on comp.text.tex, I found my answer
almost immediately in a tex-faq.  You have to wrap sections that contain
these commands with \makeatletter and \makeatother.  For example:

\makeatletter
[pasted in from foo.sty]
\makeatother

This is actually discussed in the "Latex Companion" on pages 15-16, but
I didn't realize it until now.  So my problem is solved!

Jonathan