Worm (was Re: [vox-tech] cron - not at a different time)

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:25:21 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 March 2004 09:43, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > ps- is there a new virus?  all of a sudden, starting from last night
> > i've gotten a huge ton of emails that say things like:
> >
> >    Arggghh, I hate plaintext!
> >
> >    Here is your excel file.
> >
> >    I don't bite, weah!
> >
> >    Your file is attached.
> >
> > i normally don't see viruses because i filter based on executable
> > strings in every win32 executable.  but these viruses seem to be
> > carrying .zip and .pif payloads which are getting past my filter.
>=20
> I just got a message from "lugod@livepenguin.com" with an apparent zip fi=
le=20
> attached.  Here's what it says:
>=20
> "Looking =A0forward for =A0a response :P
> =A0
> password: 17468
> AttachedFile.zip"
>=20
> Does anyone know what this is all about?

You are supposed to open the zipfile using the password and run the
contents. ;)

Seriously... these emails are cropping up so much in the last day that
this has to be a worm.  I haven't seen any analyses of this one, though.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing