[vox-tech] cron - not at a different time

Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:13:48 -0800

On Wed 03 Mar 04, 10:07 AM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:

> >ps- is there a new virus?  all of a sudden, starting from last night
> >i've gotten a huge ton of emails that say things like:
> >
> >   Arggghh, I hate plaintext!
> >
> >   Here is your excel file.
> >
> >   I don't bite, weah!
> >
> >   Your file is attached.
> >
> >i normally don't see viruses because i filter based on executable
> >strings in every win32 executable.  but these viruses seem to be
> >carrying .zip and .pif payloads which are getting past my filter.
> >
> >also, i just got a bounced email, with MY email address on it.  it said:
> >
> >   I know about you!
> >
> >and it was addressed to qmail@hollings.senate.gov, a US senator's
> >office.  holy cow.  i sure hope the secret service doesn't come after
> >me!   ;-)
> >
> >pete
> >

> ClamAV is filtering that virus out for me. I installed ClamAV yesterday
> morning to handle that problem - apparently the school's virus checker
> hasn't updated to recognize that virus yet. I also got one from vox (which
> I trust so I don't usually subject it to spam and virus filtering). Perhaps
> we need a virus scanner on the lists even for subscribed members.

ken,

from vox?  or do you mean forged to look like it came from vox?  i don't
recall seeing one from the list...

i know how to filter based on attachment content (since the content is
just part of the body).  i need to google for how you filter based on
attachment name.  i don't recall there being any headers declaring the
name of attachments...

pete