[vox-tech] problems sending mail using SBC's smtp server

Charles McLaughlin vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 18:39:52 -0800 (PST)

This makes me feel like a newbie!

I have SBC dsl and I'm trying to use their outgoing mail server to send
out emails.  I found that SBC's outgoing mail server is smtp.prodigy.net,
so I tried this setting with both Evolution and Mozilla-Firebird.
With this setting both email programs are able to send messages, but I get
an error message and the outgoing messages allways stays in my "outgoing"
mail folder.  For instance, Evolution tells me this:

Error while performing operation: RSET response error: Operation now in
progress

I tried running Evolution with the --debug switch and it printed out some
messages.  I found this, which may be related:

received: 250 2.0.0 i218J72U258790 Message accepted for delivery
sending : RSET^M
received: (null)

What does all this mean???  Any ideas how to fix this???  oh... btw... I'm
tried sending out email using SBC's mail server on Windows and it
worked fine.  Am I missing some libraries or something like that?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Charles