[vox-tech] UPS and auto battery

Jeremy Brown vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:58:36 -0800

As I understand it, UPS batteries are more similar to marine/RV deep
cycle batteries than they are to regular car batteries. A big RV battery
could run a computer for an hour or two, depending on the monitor. If
you swap it out directly for the one in there now, it will probably take
a REALLY long time to charge after a complete discharge, but from what I
know about charging batteries, it would likely work. The cost is
probably more than I'd pay to try out something like that, but I'd be
interested in hearing what you end up doing, as I've come across dead
UPSs in the past and never did anything with them.

BTW, the "sealed" part of that is definately important if you'll be
using it inside.

Adding extra cooling would probably be smart, too. Little 12v fans are
easy to add on to almost anything. I had to do it to a cheap inverter I
had. It kept overheating and switching off. It took a couple hours of
cutting and soldering, but worked like a charm.