[vox-tech] UPS and auto battery

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:07:35 -0800

I have had an APC Back-UPS 500 for a few years and it looks
like the battery is finally dead.  It's a small 12V sealed
lead-acid battery, about 6" x 2.5" x 3.5".  The back of the
UPS says it can output 10A of current.  The battery itself
says "12V, 7AH/20HR".

One thing I never liked about this UPS is the anemic backup
power time, about 5-10 minutes (and now zero).

I guess you know where this is going... am wondering if it
makes sense to buy a standard (sealed) car battery and wire
it up to the UPS?  Any EE experts here care to comment?

Thanks,

-- Rod