[vox-tech] XFree86 4.4.0 non-GPL compatible

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:05:12 -0800

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 11:33:03AM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> I don't understand the big picture.  How can the XFree project get away with
> upsetting so many people?

I don't think there's any TECHNICAL reason why they can't. ;^)
Based on what little I know and have read about it (mostly here),
it really does seem like a foolish move, though.

But, noone's stopping them from living in their 'own little world,'
while everyone else moves on with a forked version.

> Also, it seems like SuSE (Novell) and its friend IBM, and GNOME's friends
> like Sun and HP have a whole lot of resources.  Can't they come up with a
> an alternative?

Sure!  It will be interesting to see what they say about this situation,
if anything...

-bill!
(addicted to Debian and KDE 3.2)