[vox-tech] Network question re: domain on LAN

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Jun 25 15:53:13 PDT 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Richard Crawford wrote:

> While trying to install SuSE 9.1 Pro on my desktop the other night, I had
> a big problem connecting to the Internet.
>
> I have a DHCP server on my router, but I've set up my Linux boxes to
> retain their own IP addresses: 192.168.1.110, 192.168.1.113, and
> 192.168.1.120, for example.

A private network...

> When setting up networking for my new SuSE box, I put in the following:
>
> Disable the DHCP client
> HOST NAME:  seamus
> DOMAIN:
> IP ADDRESS:  192.168.1.110
> SUBNET MASK:  255.255.255.0
> DEFAULT GATEWAY:  192.168.1.1
> DNS1:  206.13.31.12
> DNS2:  206.13.28.12
>
> ...which is pretty much the same setup as on my Debian box and on my FC1 box.
>
> Note that I have no entry for the DOMAIN field.  Since I don't have a
> domain name pointing at my IP address, I've never actually put anything in
> that field.  However, when trying to install SuSE, I can't move past the
> network setup screen until I put a value in there.  I've tried putting in
> dummy values, and the values of the domains that I own (mossroot.com,
> stonegoose.com).  I've also tried putting in the workgroup name that I use
> for the computers on my system that are hooked up with Samba.  However, I
> cannot get networking to work under SuSE.

You don't _need_ anything in this field, but I usually DO put something
here.  I think SuSE is trying to coerce you into putting something here to
prevent you from encountering bugs in software that assumes you always
have a domain.

> My question is:  have I done something wrong by not putting in a value for
> DOMAIN for my other computers?  Or is SuSE expecting something that is
> inappropriate to my setup?

I recommend something like "crawford.localnet"... which will become the
name you use for your internal (private) network.  Ideally, this will work
in concert with an internal DNS server answering local requests and
forwarding other requests.  Then instead of handing out my ISP's dns cache
address, I hand out my local dns server's address, and it prevents
requests for "crawford.localnet" from ever being sent out to the internet
(where such requests would waste a few cpu cycles before being answered
with "dunno").

If you are careful, you can avoid the internal dns server by using a hosts
file, but this is not very robust and can turn into a maintenance
headache.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing