[vox-tech] USB Mouse Issues on new SuSE installation

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 25 09:32:50 PDT 2004

Richard Crawford wrote:
> Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
>> You can check usb device connectivity with the lsusb command.  For
>> gentoo, it's in the "usbutils" package.  Or you can check dmesg for
>> usb connections and possible errors.
>

> # lsusb
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Your mouse is not showing up.  Here is what I get with lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c001 Logitech, Inc. N48/M-BB48 [FirstMouse Plus]
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Try plugging in other usb devices and see if they show up with lsusb.
You'll need to figure out if all usb support is broken or just for that
mouse.

>> More likely your /etc/X11/XF86Config needs help.  Can you paste the
>> section(s) starting with "Section "InputDevice""?
>

> Heh.  Because the network card is not working under SuSE on this
> computer either, I'm going to transcribe this by hand:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Driver        "mouse"
>     Identifer    "Mouse[1]"
>     Option        "AutoSoft" "on"
>     Option        "Device" "/dev/mouse"
>     Option        "Name" "Autodetection"
>     Option        "Protocol" "AUTO"
>     Option        "Vendor" "Sysp"
>     Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection

Once you get usb working, we can trouble shoot the XF86Config.  Yours
looks strange, but may be what works with SuSE.  Here is mine:

Section "InputDevice"

         Identifier      "DevInputMice"
         Driver          "mouse"
         Option          "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
         Option          "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option          "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
         Option          "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

EndSection

>> Richard Crawford wrote:
>>
>>> Last night I sat down and started trying to install SuSE Pro 9.1 on my
>>> computer.  I encoutered a weird issue with my USB cordless mouse, and I
>>> don't know if it's an issue with the 2.6 kernel or with SuSE itself.

<snip>

>>> Even after the installation was complete, the mouse was unavailable.  I
>>> tried using YaST to update the mouse configuration, but that didn't
>>> work;
>>> I even tried selecting every single mouse model in the list, but none
>>> worked.  I viewed the system logs, but can't see anything that seems
>>> to be
>>> a problem.

<snip>