[vox-tech] Cloning a drive?

Paul paulb at claypits.com
Mon Jun 21 13:40:57 PDT 2004

Thanks for all the (knwoledge, ideas, suggestions, etc).

I tested the ideas on a couple of old drives (does anyone throw away old
drives?) and it seems to work

Set it up with source drive in hdc and destination in hda.
Booted knoppix in text mode so neither disk would be in use.
Using cfdisk, setup hda with two partitions (/ & swap).
Used mke2fs -j to format hda1 (I want to move from a reiserfs to ext3).
Used cp -av /dev/hdc /dev/hda.

It looks like the transfer worked right and if I edited lilo.conf and
ran lilo hda would have been bootable, but I went to bed
-and-
The next morning I decided I didn't want to move a few years of cruft
over to my new disk after all. So plan b is to start with a fresh
install and move  the data and config file I need.

I think I'll try a knoppix hard disk install.

Thanks for all your help, you people are great.

Paul