[vox-tech] [OT] Two questions regardless Wireless 802.11b

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Mon Jun 21 13:27:28 PDT 2004

I'm trying to fix things up with my wireless setup at home.  I was using
WEP for awhile, but decided to stop because (a) our computers were having
a lot of frame errors and dropping the connection frequently; and (b) I've
heard that WEP is just not all that secure anyway.  So now I'm setting it
up to do MAC address filtering, and allowing only the MAC addresses that I
specify.  Seems to be working just fine so far.

Two questions, though.

First, I have a Sony Clie TJ37, which has a wireless card built in.  I was
hoping I could use it to get into my network, but I can't seem to figure
out its MAC address.  Anyone have any idea how I could track that down?
Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Second, I would also like to disable SSID broadcast on my wireless
network, but when I do, our laptop computers can't log in to the network
when they're turned on.  Is there a way around this?

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)