[vox-tech] Re: postfix question: content inspection for junk elimination

Margo Schulter mschulter at calweb.com
Fri Jun 11 12:16:49 PDT 2004

> From: hajhouse at houseag.com (Henry House)

> 	I usually ask people to send tarballs instead of zipfiles. Can popular
> 	DOS compression programs create tarballs?

Hello there, Henry and all.

While I'm not sure if this counts as a popular DOS tool, DJGPP (a DOS
port by DJ Delorie and other contributors of GNU to a 32-bit
environment using DPMI) includes a version of GNU tar which I've
used.

If it might help, I'd be glad to try sending a test e-mail with an
attached tarball produced by this program. (This would be via a DOS
ppp connection then using telnet to my Unix shell account.)

was preparing to post this, I might add that DJGPP does include the
utilities dtou and utod for DOS-Unix and Unix-DOS conversions, and that
learning the tar directory conventions should help me in dealing with both
types of operating systems. Thank you, Jeff, for a post which alerts me to
these important conventions.

As someone involved with both types of OSes, I'd be glad to take part in a
test that might address not only the technical problems of the tar
attachment but a bit of user education (namely mine) in the proper
conversions and directory conventions.

Most appreciatively,

Margo Schulter
mschulter at calweb.com