[vox-tech] Can't mount root while booting 2.6.5 kernel - Solution

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon Jun 7 20:35:50 PDT 2004

Peter Jay Salzman said:
(Very good information from Pete cut from here)
> also, like ME, i keep many copies of the kernel, with labels:
>
> bleedinglinux
> newlinux
> linux
> oldlinux
> mustylinux
> crustylinux
>
> so i only keep 6 of them.  if i could think of two more cute names,
> maybe i'd keep 8 myself.   :-)

I use a different naming convention:
k4.26a+nesp
Becomes "Kernel 2.4.26(k4.26), first attempt/config (a) with
non-executable stack patch and other security features (+nesp).
+n+c means +nesp and crypto filesystem support.

(Meaning these are applied patches to the kernel)
The names of the labels also imply the names of the files.

When I have different append options for different labels, then I include
a "-nonet" or other identifier for how the network should work on start
with "extra" variables passed to the booting kernel to alter the way the
networking comes up. (This is mostly for laptops and older systems which
do not use the newer tools to have boot-based prompts for network setups.)