[vox-tech] Can't mount root while booting 2.6.5 kernel - Solution

Chris Jenks vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon Jun 7 18:57:16 PDT 2004

  Dear Peter and List Members,

  I'm sorry for posting too much unnecessary information - especially
since the problem had nothing to do with .config anyway! In my
frustration, I tried reinstalling the custom 2.6.3 kernel that had booted
previously, and it would no longer boot (same error as 2.6.4-2.6.5). I
installed the vanilla 2.6.6 kernel image, and got the same thing. I
discovered that, when I had changed /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old to point to
different kernel versions, I had created them as hard links (i.e., link
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-040604 vmlinuz) instead of soft links (i.e., ln -si
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-040604 vmlinuz). When I had later purged the kernel
version and installed another, vmlinuz was not updated, and caused a bad
kernel to be loaded.
  After creating the proper soft links, so that vmlinuz now references the
vanilla 2.6.6 kernel, and running lilo, I rebooted over the network. To my
great surprise, I was able to log on - so the system not only boots, but
the network comes up too! Originally I had wanted to start with a minimal
.config and work my way up, but maybe that wasn't the best strategy.

  Thanks for the suggestions,

    Chris