[vox-tech] mailman bounce processing options

Dave Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun Jun 6 07:00:06 PDT 2004

I just helped a buddy upgrade a "roll your own" e-mail database to mailman
(thanks to some tips Rick provided about a month or so back, so thanks
again for that).

My friend was asking me some questions about exactly how we should
configure the bounce processing in such a way that we can aggressively
clean up the list.  The problem is that the list is announce only and
fairly low-traffic (with messages going out about once or twice a month).
  He wants his active member number to be real accurate, so I suggested
the following.

maximum bounce score: 3.0
number of days before score is reset: 60
how many "your membership is disabled" warnings before removal: 1
number of days between warnings: 7

If I understand this correctly, this means that every 60 days an address
can be at fault for 3 total fatal errors (or a larger combination of
"soft" and "hard" errors).  After that number is reached, he/she will be
given 1 warning, and a week to do something about it (adjust their spam
filter, complain to their lame isp, etc.).  Let me know if that sounds right.

In anybody's experience, do these values look reasonable given my friend's
requirements?

Thanks so much,
Dave Margolis