[vox-tech] VNC - awesome!

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Mon Jul 26 20:47:18 PDT 2004

On Mon 26 Jul 04,  7:47 PM, Rod Roark <rod at sunsetsystems.com> said:
> On Monday 26 July 2004 06:25 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >    Whenever I buy an ethernet card, it always says 10/100 Mb/s.  It's
> >    always been "fast enough".  I did some tests.  I created a 50MB file:
> >
> >       $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/blah  count=100k
> >
> >    and used scp to transfer it to another machine.  Transfer speed is
> >    pretty much pegged at 1.1 - 1.2 MB/s
>
> That seems pretty slow for a 100 Mbps network.  I tried a
> quick test here, creating a 100 MB file on the web server:
>
> $ dd if=/dev/urandom of=trash.bin bs=1024 count=100K
>
> and then fetching it over the local network with wget:
>
> $ wget http://livepenguin.com/trash.bin
>
> and got 11.21 MB/sec.  I also have a D-Link (DSS-5+)
> switch.
>
> Perhaps your use of scp comes with a lot of CPU overhead?
>
> -- Rod

Karsten and Rod,

Yes, that's exactly what was happening.  The CPU was the bottleneck.
This is one of the most reliable workhorse machines I've ever had, and
may be SMP, but it's still a Celeron 333 SMP.  The machine is such a
good performer, I sometimes forget that fact!  :)

Doing a 50MB test with wget, I'm getting between 12 and 16 MB/s (which
is faster than 100Mb/s!).

In retrospect, it was kind of dumb to use scp to gauge the LAN speed!
Thanks for the tip!

Pete

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.